How to apply for master’s degree and doctoral studies
- Getting a student number/university number does not imply that the applicant has been accepted for the programme they applied for. A student number/university number is issued for administrative purposes only. Doctors Degrees South Africa
- All documents must be certified by a commissioner of oaths, attorney and/or university official.
- If any of your qualifications were obtained at any non-South African institution, an evaluation certificate as issued by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) must be submitted. Applicants can apply for the evaluation certificate from SAQA
- Please note that if any of the documents you have to submit were issued in your maiden name, you have to also submit a certified marriage certificate.
Honours Studies and Postgraduate Diplomas in South Africa
It is important to note that the requirements and stipulations of honours degrees and postgraduate diplomas differ from faculty to faculty. Please use the contact details below to find out more about the options (if any) within each faculty.
Economic and Management Sciences
Natural and Agricultural Sciences
How to apply online
Step 1: Getting a student number (start at step 2 if you already have one)
- Go to the online application platform
- Click on New application
- Click on Create new student number and complete all the fields
Please note that the allocation of a student number does not mean that you have completed the application process. Please go through all the steps below to ensure that your application is complete and that it reaches us. Incomplete applications will not be processed by the University.
Step 2: Log in
When you receive a student number, use that together with the PIN number you created to log in.
Step 3: What do you want to study?
Complete all the fields. Use the yearbooks to obtain more information about the qualifications, modes of delivery and curricula.
Step 4: Upload supporting documents
In order to consider your application, please upload the following supporting documents. If the application is incomplete, it may be declined by the University:
- Grade 12 results, grade 11 results (final results only) or a copy of your matric certificate – if you have already passed matric.
- Applicants who are currently upgrading their grade 12 results, will only be considered after the improved results are presented to the NWU.
- Applicants who follow Cambridge, GED or any other non-NSC curriculum, or who may qualify for exemption based on advanced age or post-school qualifications, must provide an exemption certificate as issued by USAF.
- Completed undertaking
- Copy of your ID
- Copy of your academic record (if applicable).
- Additional documents for international prospective students:
- A copy of relevant results
- A copy of your passport
- More information on payable fees
Step 5: Submit application
Please make sure that you press the Submit application button when you have finished ensuring that we receive your application.