Addiction and substance abuse are the worst diseases ever. It affects the addict’s body inside out. Sometimes we are unable to figure out the damage, alcohol, or other forms of addiction may cause our internal organs. Here what we need to realize and do:
• It is imperative to be vigilant of the warning signs of addiction because in most of the cases the addict and the addict’s family is unable to comprehend when the liking gets converted to addiction.
• This leads to a disastrous situation later when the harmful effects start getting unraveled.
• Before it gets too late and it gets difficult to reverse the health complications, you must ponder upon seeking drug abuse treatment.
• Addiction causes a negative impact on our ability to socialize, keeping ourselves happy, performing well in work, having good relationships at home with spouse and children, etc. To ensure all of these, it is important to effectively treat addiction.
Therapy for treating addiction
Therapy is undeniably the best way to prevent and treat addiction and other health issues. With the help of a professional treatment program, the person can get back to a normal and content life. Here is why therapy is essential for treating addiction.
• Addiction needs a personal or customized treatment program.
• The personalized treatment program firstly evaluates and diagnoses the symptoms and causes of the disease.
• Then, the damage that has already been caused, is assessed. This is done by finding the extent of abuse the substance has caused on a person’s life.
• The therapists aim to reward good behaviors, teach patients to have belief in them, encourage self-help, have high self-esteem, understand the self-worth, and so on. They also work to prevent any chances of relapse.
Types of therapies
The therapy for addiction treatment is quite comprehensive. It encompasses several therapies like group interactions, individual therapy sessions, skills enhancement, behavioral therapy, therapeutic therapy, medications, emotional upheaval, and many more. Here, we discuss one by one.
Behavioral therapy works well for all types of addictions.
• This form of treatment is considered to be the best of all, and the most commonly used.
• It is seen and observed that the people treated who are given behavioral therapy treatment, are able to change and better their behaviors.
• Behavioral therapy augments the coping skills, teaches how to get out of worst situations, and prevents relapse.
• This approach is not done in isolation. It is mostly paired with other addiction treatment techniques.
• Behavioral therapy has a long-lasting benefit on the people.
• It is also found effective in treating both mental health and physical health
Another popular therapy is Contingency Management.
• Contingency Management therapy is found useful in treating almost all types of addiction and substance abuse such as alcohol, drugs, and stimulants.
• This therapy teaches the addict to remain in moderation.
• Under this therapy, material rewards are given as a token of motivation, provided the behavior exhibited by the addict is found sober.
• This therapy also works to eliminate the chances of relapse.
Here is how motivational therapy works.
• This therapy encourages the addict to gain confidence and resolve all his doubts related to recovery and treatment.
• Gradually, the patients recovering under this kind of therapy begin to feel self-motivated. This helps towards a faster recovery.
Dialectal therapy has successfully treated several substance-abuse cases in the past.
• It can treat different personality disorders too
• It works to lessen the cravings, prevent relapse, enhance coping skills, etc.
Other than these, many therapists use the Matrix Model, which combines different therapeutic efforts.
Other effective options
• Along with several sessions of counseling and therapies, medications also play an important role in addiction and drug treatment.
• These medications help to lessen the cravings for drugs, alcohol, and other substances.
• Exercise or any form of physical activity also reduces stress and helps towards reducing the craving for substances.
• Meditation is another powerful tool that has a positive impact on depression and fitness.
• Yoga is another activity suggested by therapists. Breathing and relaxation asanas can have large benefits in reducing stress and becoming stronger.