Bachelor’s degree is also called a ‘college degree,’ an undergraduate study program that spans four years of education. Typically, the four-year program consists of 120-semester credits and around 40 courses. If the college uses a quarterly system instead of semesters, you must complete 180-quarter credits to earn the accredited bachelor’s degree. Universities and institutions worldwide globally recognize bachelor’s degrees’ academic excellence as a gateway to advanced studies and specializations. Completing a bachelor’s degree prepares a student for professional careers for an array of industries. In most cases, you cannot attend a professional degree without a completed bachelor’s degree.
Undergraduate courses may differ depending on the specialization, but the focus largely remains on exploring liberal arts than concentration courses. Many institutions offer students with customized bachelor’s program that aligns with their career goals and aspirations.
Benefits of Earning Bachelor’s Degree
Students receive many benefits after completing a bachelor’s degree which the top reasons include:
- Completing a bachelor’s degree improves chances and prospects of employment. Many organizations and employers consider minimum bachelor study as a requirement for embarking on a career path.
- You can meet the pre-requisite for advanced studies if you complete a bachelor’s degree.
- College degree holders usually remain satisfied by their job as the pay, benefits, and chances of growth are better.
- You can easily expand your network of professional relationships.
Many careers and employers require a minimum bachelor’s degree to earn employment, while others require further studies after recruitment. Some may encourage you to attain specific certifications or complete courses in combination with your bachelor’s degree. If you want to pursue an individual consultation career, then you need licenses with your complete bachelor’s degree to start. Students inquire’ how long does it take to get a bachelor’s degree,’ the answer of which is purely the commitment to curriculum and effective time management.
Career Expectation from Bachelor’s Degree
Completing a college education is the solution to a promising career. A bachelor’s degree opens a gateway to many professions. A completed degree demonstrates that a student possesses general education in a particular subject as required by an employer. The three most popular bachelor’s degree is:
Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Bachelor of Arts or BA degree focuses more on liberal arts rather than any concentration courses. Students have more opportunities to customize their courses and fulfill their goals and career objectives. Common specializations in BA include English, Communication, Music, Theatre Arts, and Modern Languages.
Bachelor of Science (BS)
The BS degree targets career-oriented specializations. It including courses like Biology, Nursing, Business, Computer Sciences, Economics, and Chemical Engineering.
Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)
BFA comes under vocational or professional degree programs. The goal of the BFA program is to attain professional-level careers in creative arts. The specialization includes acting, sculptors, painting, singing, dancing, and more. The program has a focus on specialization rather than general academics.
As the jobs become more scientific, technology-driven, and sophisticated, the need for a bachelor’s degree has increased. For instance, many drafting jobs prefer junior engineers with degrees and skills rather than technicians without a degree. Similarly, hospitals need nursing staff that can handle other complex matters related to healthcare. Careers after bachelor’s degree continue to expand and have gone beyond legal studies. The modern specializations include:
- Digital Marketing
- IT, networking, and cloud structure
- Many others
Some Facts About Bachelor’s Degree
- The main reason to complete a bachelor’s degree is to earn higher. Almost all employers require at least bachelor studies and institutions offer it online or in-person. The Bachelor program is also suitable for those who have started their careers and need an educational boost for further progress.
- The program comprises four years of study after the completion of 120 credits for the semester. Returning or part-time students take more time to complete as they complete it on a part-time basis.
- The tuition fee can range from a few hundred to $60,000 per year. Depending on student circumstances, the living expenses may also vary.
- Every person has different career goals, schedules, and budgets to pursue a bachelor’s study. Some programs meet specific criteria and also customized programs to meet student goals.
The length of time taken for completing a bachelor’s degree depends on the program chosen and the college enrolled. Options include full-time to part-time or accelerated programs. Accelerated programs are the ones that you can complete within two years. Some other students who pursue the degree part-time take longer than four years to complete. If you have completed post-secondary courses, you can avail an exemption of a few subjects that reduces the time even further. If you have an associate degree, then you can enroll in an accelerated, 90-credit hour program.
The importance of a bachelor’s degree in today’s academic and professional environment, all specializations have gained value. Depending on the kind of field chosen, the costs and time durations may vary. Typically, the program has four years to complete. In exceptional cases where a student enrolls in the accelerated program or gains exemption, then the duration of completion reduces.