In the UK, CBD is legitimate; however, THC is illicit, yet both come from a similar cannabis plant. A few nations like Canada, The Netherlands, and others have legitimized the utilization of cannabis. While it is illicit in various parts of the nation. Every one of these laws encompassing cannabis will confuse a large portion of individuals. Keep reading to know all the cannabis laws in the UK.
The UK laws that encompass CBD
Prior to going into the numerous laws that encompass CBD, the current situation for selling CBD gummies is required. The FSA or Food Standards Agency cutoff time for the CBD business is March 31, 2021, for presenting the novel food approval application. Just the individuals who have presented the applications can sell CBD items after the FSA cutoff time. As of now, there is a suspension of this application, and the UK government is to settle on January 1, 2021, on the laws encompassing CBD and cannabis.
A timeline of UK laws on cannabis & CBD
The laws surrounding cannabis and CBD in the UK go back nearly a century ago and include
- In 1928 the Dangerous Drugs Act introduced cannabis laws.
- In 1967 Drugs (Prevention of Misuse) Act reduced the penalties for possessing cannabis.
- In 1971The Misuse of Drugs, Act 1971 restricted cannabis growth for all its species
- In 2001, The Misuse of Drugs Regulation permitted people to grow cannabis for medical purposes by obtaining a license from the home office after moving cannabis from schedule 1 to Schedule 2 drugs.
- The same law in 2001 kept the other forms of cannabis to remain in Class B illegal substances under the 1971 Misuse of Drugs Act to penalize those possessing it to unlimited time or 5 years in prison or both.
- On November 1, 2018, a new law allowed specialized doctors to prescribe CBD medicines because of the two families’ efforts with their children Billy Caldwell and Alfie Dingley, who have severe Epilepsy.
The reasons for the many laws surrounding CBD
Though many scientific studies repeatedly confirm CBD’s use for many health conditions. There is still confusion about legalizing it in the UK. It is mainly because of the psychoactive compound THC or tetrahydrocannabinol in the cannabis plant.
But it also contains over 485 compounds, of which 85 are cannabidiols, including CBD. Experts believe that it is best to have laws for the THC limit to be less than 0.02% for growing cannabis for medical purposes and 1 mg for finished products like CBD gummies UK. But there are issues in testing the CBD products to use labs with accuracy levels up to 0.1% rather than 0.1% accuracy.
All have to wait until the new laws for the CBD industry and until then utilize the expert legal services to submit the novel food authorization application before March 31, 2021, to continue selling the tasty, colorful, and beautiful CBD gummies UK.