Here are some simple methods to maintain hygiene and extend the life of your mattress. We also tell you how to clean a mattress with urine stains, blood, and general dirt.
Remember that before applying any of these methods to clean a mattress, test on a small and inconspicuous surface. In the case of combining these methods with commercial products, it is advisable to read the instructions and follow the recommendations on the label. In addition, we recommend reading the instructions on the manufacturer’s label for mattress care. Also get our favorite ideas on How To Keep Your White Kitchen Cabinets Clean & Spotless?
We recommend that you carry out the following method of washing mattresses regularly. If the mattress is next to a wall, it is important to remove it in order to reach its entire surface on both sides.
- To remove dust and dirt in general, you have to vacuum the mattress on both sides. If your vacuum has an upholstery brush, use it.
- If you only need to clean a mattress with superficial stains, simply pour 1 tablespoon of liquid laundry soap into 1 liter of cold water. Mix the solution vigorously until foamy. I dampened a sponge in this mixture and rubbed the spots on the mattress in a circular motion. Before operating this method, it is advisable to test on a small and imperceptible surface. If a stain persists, you can repeat this operation by rewetting the sponge as many times as necessary. For stubborn stains, it is recommended to combine with a special upholstery soap.
- Let the mattress dry for a few hours and vacuum again to remove any residue.
How to wash a mattress with stubborn stains
For particularly difficult stains to clean, such as blood, sweat, and vomit, some commonly effective home methods can be used.
- Sprinkle the stain with distilled white vinegar and leave it to work for about 10 minutes, while no adverse effects are observed.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the stain and let it fizz with the white vinegar for a few minutes. When the baking soda is dry, vacuum.
- If the stain persists or is not completely gone, run a sponge moistened with hydrogen peroxide over it and rub it in circular motions (wearing rubber gloves). Let it dry.
How to clean urine-smelling mattresses
- Remove the sheets and mattress covers and proceed to wash with soap and hot water.
- Sprinkle an entire cup of baking soda on the affected area and complete the rest of the mattress with this powder. I covered the entire mattress with plastic (trash bags may be a good option). Let it act for several hours.
- Remove the plastic and vacuum the baking soda.
It is important to remember that a mattress should also be renewed every 10 to 15 years, depending on the material of the utensil. Otherwise, in addition to being an infectious focus, it could also interrupt your sleep hours. Here are some recommendations:
- Move It Frequently: Despite being a bit tedious, turn the mattress if it has two sleeping surfaces. It also changes the position (top to bottom and vice versa) once a month if necessary, depending on where and how you live.
- Ventilation is crucial: both in winter and in summer, once a week, vacuum and leave it without sheets for a few hours.
- Avoid wetting the mattress: if you are going to clean any stain, do not soak the mattress with water, you will attract fungi. Treat the dirt with a well damp sponge and baking soda, if necessary.
- Don’t forget about cleaning: if possible, steam clean the mattress every month, especially in corners and doublets, where more dust accumulates.
- Buy protectors: as well as for pillows and duvets, there are also mattress protectors, which prevent dust mites and dust.
Follow our Shruti Saini’s blog, The Homezz at https://www.thehomezz.com/ for other home cleaning remedies.