Autism spectrum disorder is a condition that is related to brain development. It causes an impact on a person’s ability to perceive and socialize with others. This makes them uncomfortable when they interact and communicate with others. The disorder also includes repetitive or limited patterns of behaviour. The term “spectrum” in autism spectrum disorder signifies to numerous symptoms and severity of the situation.
Autism spectrum disorder includes conditions such as childhood disintegrative disorder, Asperger’s syndrome, and pervasive developmental disorder. It initiates in early childhood and eventually causes problems in socializing with others. Many children show symptoms of autism within the first year while others develop it in the later years. Quite often, they have to experience a period of regression between 18 and 24 months of age while they develop this disease.
While there are no plausible solutions for autism spectrum disorder, paying a visit to any best psychologist in Dubai can make a big difference in the lives of many children.
Some children show the signs of autism spectrum disorder in the early stage. They will show various symptoms such as
- Reduced eye contact
- Lack of response to their name
- Indifference to caregivers
- Use of aggressive language
- Social withdrawn
- Showing a unique pattern of behaviours and level of severity varying from low to high functioning.
- Difficulty in learning
- Signs of lower than normal intelligence.
- Some children have high intelligence, they may learn quickly but find trouble in communication and applying their knowledge to every day’s life and adjusting to social situations.
Because of the showing of unique and mixed symptoms, it is difficult for any psychologist in UAE to recognize them. Everything is based on the level of impairments and how they impact the ability of the patient to perform.
The patients experiencing this disorder experience the following signs.
Social Communication And Interaction
Any child or adult facing autism spectrum disorder finds a problem while interacting and communicating with others. Other symptoms include:
- Won’t respond to their names even if they hear several times.
- Don’t like cuddling and holding, and prefer to remain alone, retreating into their own world.
- Makes poor eye contact with no facial expression.
- Can’t start a conversation or keep one going.
- Communicates with an inappropriate tone or rhythm or may give a robot-like speech
- Repeats phrases or words and doesn’t comprehend as to how to use them
- Won’t be able to understand simple questions or directions
- Finds it difficult to express feelings or emotions.
Patterns of Behavior
A child or adult with autism spectrum disorder may show specific or limited patterns of behaviour, activities or interests. They may also show:
- Repetitive movements, such as spinning, rocking, or hand flapping
- Do activities that could lead to self-harm, such as head banging or biting
- Develop explicit routines or rituals and get annoyed by the slightest change
- Experience problems while coordinating followed by displaying odd movement patterns, including clumsiness or walking on toes.
- Usually involves themselves in the details of an object, like the spinning wheels of a toy car, but never comprehends the overall function or purpose of the object.
- Extremely sensitive to sound, light, or touch and sometimes are indifferent to pain or temperature
- Don’t like to engage in imitative or make-believe play
- Have specific food preferences, such as eating only a few types of foods or refusing the ones with a certain texture
Since the increase of autism in Dubai, psychologists are working day and night to provide the best solution to this problem. If your child is showing such distinctive behavioral patterns and emotional changes, there is no need to panic. Many autism schools in Dubai are now making it happen to recover such kids from this predicament.