Tips you need to Know before getting admission in Australian School/University

Schools for children and teenagers: public vs private and high schools
If you plan to move to Australia with your children, you can essentially opt for two types of schools, namely public or private. Most Australians usually opt for public schools, which are more numerous and often located within minutes of their home.

Public schools are free for residents and for those with a permanent visa, but some institutions can request a voluntary contribution of variable amount, to which are then added the expenses for school materials, trips and various activities.

For those who have a student visa, a sponsor or another type of visa, the fees vary depending on the visa and from one school to another. Each public school is obliged to accept children living in the school district, but in the case of pupils with a temporary visa, they can refuse if there are no places available.

Private schools, on the other hand, have very high fees that can reach up to $ 20,000 a year.

As for High Schools, you can choose from a wide range of subjects according to your interests, but unlike high schools in Asia there are not different types of high school (technical, classical, etc.), but different paths to within the same institute: in addition to the standard path there are the so-called “vocational” which correspond a little to our technical high school. Students who decide to undertake this course of study specialize in certain professional sectors and are the solution most often chosen by young people who do not want to continue their studies but enter the world of work directly.

As in other countries, schools in Australia also attach great importance to extra-curricular activities, with courses in theater, dance, music and art in which all children and teenagers can participate. Sporting activity also plays a fundamental role, with many disciplines practiced every day.


Australia is one of the countries with the highest cost of living, although it is true that this is related to salaries. Course prices vary greatly depending on the type of course and school, but also on the location. The price of the English courses are calculated per week, with minimum prices around $ 100 per week; there are also convenient packages for those who enroll in long-term courses.

However, if you are undecided about a Vet course or an English course, I suggest the first hypothesis: some professional courses are much cheaper than English courses and you will have the opportunity to have a longer visa and at the same time have more possibilities in the world. of work: some professional courses in the world of business, marketing or tourism start at a price of 6-6,500 dollars for 2 years of courses, an affordable figure.

Universities and masters are the most expensive courses with fees reaching $ 45 / 50,000 a year. It is a challenging path, not only from an economic point of view, but it is certainly the one that offers you more opportunities once you have completed your studies.

The important thing in this case, however, is to be convinced of the path chosen because if you can retire in a public university in Asia, losing relatively little, in Australia, withdrawing from university even after a year still means throwing away a considerable investment. To these costs, of course, the visa, medical insurance and room and board costs must naturally be added.

It must be said that international students are somewhat at a disadvantage compared to Australians because course prices are higher for foreigners. But one of the advantages of studying in Australia is that the student visa, unlike other countries such as the United States, allows you to work and is therefore a great way to cover some expenses.

The Student Visa:

To study in Australia it is essential to have a visa. Up to the age of 31 you have two options, namely the Working Holiday Visa or the Student Visa. The Working Holiday Visa allows you to follow any course for a maximum of 3 months and to work full time; the visa lasts a total of one year and you can renew it for a second year by working in regional areas and in certain sectors (agriculture for example).

If you are over 31 or if you want to pursue a longer course of study, you must apply for a Student Visa instead. The Student Visa in Australia lasts until the end of the course of study and allows you to work part-time (40 hours every 14 days) during the lessons, and full-time during the holidays.

Considering that many English courses offer flexible hours and that vet / university courses usually concentrate on two / three days a week, you have plenty of time to work and study.

An indispensable requirement for the visa student is attendance: in fact, at least 80% of the lessons must be attended.

The cost of the student visa is currently 700 Australian dollars, to be paid directly on the Australian immigration website by credit card at the time of application. You can also include children and partners in the visa application, who must comply with the same conditions regarding work.

Another fundamental detail is that to obtain the Student Visa for Australia it is essential to have health insurance, valid for the entire duration of the course.

Visas after the Study:

One thing to consider is that once you have finished your studies, Australia gives you the opportunity to stay to look for work and perhaps move permanently. The visa that is issued in this case is the Temporary Graduate Visa, which can last between 18 months and 4 years, and which allows you to work and study in Australia without limitations.

However, this visa provides for conditions depending on the course of study carried out: for vet courses it is essential to have followed a course of at least two years and the profession must be included in the CSOL list (sponsored jobs).

For university courses, on the other hand, the visa can last from 2 to 4 years and it is not necessary to have studied in one of the sectors that fall within the CSOL.

Academic year:

In all Institutions, the academic year lasts from the end of January / early February until December. There are also 4 terms during the year, namely spring, summer, autumn and winter, which follow the seasons and among which there are small breaks, or classes are suspended for one or two weeks.

On the other hand, the summer holidays are longer, starting in December and continuing until mid / late January, for about a month and a half.

Related Posts