“Gluten-free” may have become a trend, but many people have no choice but to avoid this protein for serious health reasons. Celiac disease, which requires strict gluten avoidance, affects about one in 141 people in the United States. In addition, the incidence of non-celiac gluten sensitivity is increasing. Overall, anyone who avoids gluten for medical, health or other reasons must avoid gluten:
- Wheat and all wheat derivatives (including but not limited to bulgur, spelled, farro, einkorn, emmer, durum, kamut, semolina, triticale, wheat bran and wheat germ);
- Oats that are not labeled as “gluten-free” (due to cross-contamination, not due to an inherent gluten protein in the oat grain)
Fortunately, there are plenty of gluten-free alternatives available, including for people on a plant-based diet. Whole grain cereals that are safe to use include amaranth, buckwheat, corn, job’s tears, millet, fontina, gluten-free oats, quinoa, rice, sorghum, teff, and wild rice. For more information on gluten and gluten-free consumption with over 200 plant-based recipes, see “Idiot’s Guide to Gluten-Free Vegetarian Cooking”.
In every recipe, including some of the ones listed below:
- Swap the tortillas for sprouted corn or rice tortillas.
- Just replace the food with gluten-free mixes, brown rice, or quinoa (these and these are my family’s favorites).
- Choose whole grains like brown / purple / wild / red rice, gluten free oats, amaranth, millet, buckwheat groats, sorghum, and teff.
Here are thirty plant-based breakfast, entree, snack, and course directions that are gluten-free, vegan, oil-free, and sugar-free to show you a selection of the various delicious whole-food, plant-based recipe selections possible on a seemingly restricted diet:
- Mango Chia Seed Smoothie from Beaming Baker
- Chia Honey Healthy Granola Recipe for Vegans
- Quinoa Poke Bowl Recipes Vegan & Gluten Free
- Creamy breakfast rice pudding from Dreena Burton
- Healthy chocolate smoothie from A Virtual Vegan
- Chakalaka Dip recipes from zuva-foods
- Fried Dandelions Chocolate Crunch Granola
- Peanut Butter Cup Chia Seed Pudding by Emilie Eats
- Cherry-almond-granola bar from A Virtual Vegan
- Blueberry Coconut Smoothie Bowl from Beaming Baker
- Green Chia Pudding from Veggies Save the Day
- Red Velvet Beet Pancakes by Emilie Eats
- Leek and Potato Soup from Contentedness Cooking
- Jicama and Spinach Salad from Jazzy Vegetarian
- Rainbow Collard Wraps from Phruitful Dish
- Skinny Vegan Quesadillas from VegAnnie
- Yeast-free sweet potato-gluten-free flatbread (* Omit Oil *) from Vegan Richa
- Stuffed sweet potatoes with cauliflower cheese sauce from Green Evi
- Asparagus pesto with pistachios and balsamic reduction (* use gluten-free pasta *) from Veggies Don’t Bite
- Rainbow Carrot Ginger Hummus Spring Rolls by Yup
- Pumpkin, Whole Grain Rice, and Sage Burgers from Food or Mood
- Baked Lima Beans and Vegetables from Veggies Don’t Bite
- Sofritas Tofu Salad Wraps from Veganosity
- Autumnal Loaf of Bread by Dreena Burton
- Rotini Pasta Alfredo with grated Brussels sprouts (* Use any gluten-free pasta *) from Strength & Sunshine
- Spicy bean balls with kale from Green Evi
- No-Fu Love Loaf (* Use Steel Cut Oats option *) by Dreena Burton
- Chocolate Banana Coconut Chia Pudding from Delightful Adventures
- Vegan gluten-free chocolate peppermint cake from The Vegan 8
- Crazy Brownies from Dreena Burton
For more gluten-free recipes click here.