Strawberries come in handy when you want to make a quick sandwich spread for breakfast for kids. Strawberry jam is an easy-peasy recipe that can be made once and used for a long period of time without adding any preservatives. Adding a little lemon juice to the strawberry jam gives it a tangy flavor and makes the whole recipe appetizing.
Additionally using powdered jaggery instead of sugar can make it all the more healthy and tasty. However, the amount of jaggery or sugar can be adjusted taking the sweetness of strawberries into account.
Here is the delicious recipe of home-made best strawberry jam:
1. Strawberries: 250 grams
2. Organic powdered jaggery or sugar: 1.25 cups
3. Lemon juice: 1 tablespoon
1. Rinse the strawberries finely and chop them.
2. Take a medium-sized pan and add strawberries, jaggery/sugar, and lemon juice.
3. Keep the pan filled with all ingredients on a medium flame.
4. Cook the strawberries until they start leaving their juices.
5. Keep stirring the ingredients and let the strawberries soften.
6. Turn the flame low and continue to simmer till the jam mixture starts reducing.
7. Cook for at least 20-25 minutes.
8. When the mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan, it is completely cooked.
9. Check the consistency of the jam by taking a spoonful on a plate and let it cool. If there is no water separation and it sets on cooling, it indicates that the jam is done.
10. Cover the pan with a clean towel and let it cool.
11. After the jam cools down, add it to a sterilized bottle.
12. Keep it in the refrigerator and use it as required.
13. The jam can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 months without getting spoiled.
Tip: You can chop big sized strawberries to make a chunky strawberry jam instead of a smooth jam. Add the jaggery or sugar as per your taste.
How to use the Strawberry jam?
Traditionally, jams are served on bread or scones and come in various forms such as jellies, marmalades, fruit spreads, fruit curds, and much more. However, it can be enjoyed in many more creative ways than simply spread on bread such as:
1. Blend the jam with your favorite fruits, mild, and yogurt, and a nutritious smoothie is ready.
2. Add the jam to BBQ sauce to use as a glaze for pork or chicken.
3. Spread the jam between layers of cake while preparing a cake at home.
4. Pour warm strawberry jam over ice creams to add an extra flavor to it.
5. Use it as a waffle topping or pancake spread.
6. Serve the strawberry jam with sliced seasonal fruits.
7. Add a little jam in a bowl of oatmeal to eat before bed.
8. Add some flavors to the yogurt by adding a little jam in it.
9. Fill the doughnuts or butter cookies with yummy strawberry jam or Italian hazelnut spread.
10. Cover the muffin tops with strawberry jam.
If you are too lazy to prepare the delightful strawberry jam at home, order strawberry jam and spread online and Enjoy!!