Want to stay in Australia after graduating from college? This is the best option for a post-college visa.

Many may ask what to do after graduating from college in Australia? While recent changes to the visa system have made the process of obtaining a post-study visa more complicated, there are still options for international students to remain in Australia after graduation.

Don’t worry, we will help you find the best visa options!


It is advisable to consider the Australian Study Requirement before choosing a university program, because the program you choose can open up a number of opportunities for life after graduation and gain Permanent Resident status in Australia.

To meet the Australian Study Requirements, you must:

Complete a degree, diploma or other approved qualification for international students through a registered institution.
Complete at least 92 weeks to meet the two academic year requirements and the minimum duration of enrolled courses to take is 16 months.
Complete the program in English and meet the Subclass 500 Student Visa requirements.

One of the most common pathways to obtaining a post-study visa for qualified international students is the Subclass 485 Temporary Graduate Visa.


The general requirements for obtaining the Subclass 485 Temporary Graduate Visa are as follows:

  • Under 50 years of age and have a Subclass 500 Student Visa when registering.
  • Meet the Australian Study Requirements.
  • Meet the English Language Requirements (valid passport or IELTS total score of 6 with no test component below 5).
  • Meets Health and Character requirements, and has health insurance in Australia.

After meeting the general requirements, you need to know the visa path that best suits the conditions you have. There are two visa routes to choose from:

Graduate Work Stream:

To take this pathway, you must demonstrate relevant skills and qualifications in the job according to the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). Your qualifications must be closely related to the job on the list, and you must be able to show if you have registered or have received a skills assessment from the relevant institution. You can remain in Australia to work, travel or pursue further study programs for 18 months after completing your undergraduate program.

Post Study Work Stream

If you registered or obtained a student visa on 5 November 2011 or after, you are eligible to register for the Post Study Work Stream. To apply via this route, you must have at least a bachelor’s degree or higher. This visa is valid for two to four years, depending on the highest qualification you have. As an example:

Bachelor Degree, Bachelor Degree with Honors, Master by Coursework Degree or Master (extended) Degree – The visa is valid for two years.
Master by Research Degree – The visa is valid for three years.
Doctoral Degree – The visa is valid for four years.

Students who are eligible for this Post Study Work Stream must take advantage of this opportunity while it is still available. Gaining two years of work experience in a relevant field is a requirement for the TSS Visa Subclass 482 which recently replaced the 457 Australia visa program. TSS is the next step that could open up the possibility of getting permanent resident in the future.

Related Posts