A tummy tuck is an excellent way to remove excess skin or fix separated abdominal muscles. Tummy tucks are not the right procedure for eliminating stubborn belly fat. Often, patients will get liposuction with their tummy tuck to get rid of stubborn pockets of fat around their midsection. To keep fat off after a tummy tuck, patients can do several things to prevent fat from returning.
Wait Until You’re Done Bearing Children
Plastic surgeons don’t recommend getting a tummy tuck until you’re done having children. While you can become pregnant after a tummy tuck, the pregnancy will undo your tummy tuck results. So there’s no point if you’re planning to have more children.
Communicate with Your Plastic Surgeon About Your Expectations
Be upfront and honest with your certified plastic surgeon about your concerns and weight loss goals. Address any problems that might hinder you from achieving your desired results. Be honest about your current lifestyle and the changes you will need to make to maintain successful weight loss after your tummy tuck.
Follow Your Post-Op Recovery Instructions
It seems basic, but it’s very critical to follow your post-op recovery instructions. To maximize results, reduce swelling, and recover faster, you’ll want to follow all the instructions. Some of these instructions may include:
- Having someone drive you home and help for a couple of days.
- Getting lots of rest.
- Eating a balanced diet.
- Drinking lots of water.
- Walking as soon as possible.
- Wearing compression garments.
- Taking prescribed medications.
By following these instructions, you’ll be able to achieve faster results.
Eat a Healthy Diet
Easier said than done, but this is a critical element of maintaining weight loss after a tummy tuck. It’s crucial to eat a healthy diet before and after the surgery. By eating healthy, nutritious food, you’ll recover faster and establish excellent eating habits that will produce lasting weight loss results.
Healthy eating tips to keep fat off after a tummy tuck include:
- Don’t drink soft drinks – even diet drinks. Soft drinks are full of empty calories and unhealthy sugars. People who drink soft drinks are more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes and obesity.
- Eat moderately. Eat frequent, small meals to reduce the urge to snack or overeat. And then make smart meal choices, forego all the treats and sweets.
- Snack responsibly. Prepare healthy ready-to-eat snacks like fruit, nuts, and veggies, so they’re ready to go when you need an in-between. Also, get rid of the junk food from your pantry. You can’t eat it if it’s not there.
- Eat complex carbs. Carbs are your friends. They are filling and healthy when you make smart carb choices. Complex carbs that are excellent to eat contain whole grains, green vegetables, potatoes, and legumes. These carbs will give you more energy and help you feel full.
- Drink water. Staying hydrated is very important. It will improve your skin and curb cravings.
- Get a good night’s rest. Healthy sleep habits can help maintain your diet and reduce obesity.
By following these healthy diet habits, you’ll be able to maintain weight loss after a tummy tuck.
Establish a Regular Exercise Routine
While diet is vital, you also need to exercise to maintain tummy tuck results. Exercise is essential for physical wellness, so you’ll need to establish a regular exercise routine. A healthy exercise routine includes:
- Working out at least three times a week. Feel free to work out more, but three is the critical number of sessions to maintain weight loss.
- Live an active lifestyle. Find ways to get out from behind the desk or off the couch. While your job can make it more difficult, look for creative ways to be more active like biking to work, taking the stairs, or walking on lunch breaks.
- Integrate strength training into your routine. While cardio is king for losing weight, strength training can tone your muscles for a sculpted, lean physique.
- Find physical activities you enjoy. When you love doing the activity, it makes workouts feel less of a chore and becomes something you look forward to doing. Try new activities and explore the different possibilities for physical fitness.
By establishing a healthy fitness routine, you’ll be able to maintain weight loss and feel happier about your body.
Set Healthy Expectations
Unrealistic goals lead to failure and falling back into old habits. A tummy tuck is not going to be a weight-loss miracle. Instead, it will set you up for success if you set realistic expectations and establish a healthy diet and exercise habits.
While smoking can curb cravings, it’s terrible for your health. Most plastic surgeons will want you to stop smoking before your tummy tuck because of the surgical risks of smoking. Aside from the countless benefits of not smoking, you’ll recover quicker if you don’t smoke.
Following These Tips Will Keep Fat Off After Your Tummy Tuck
It may seem like a lot, but many of these tips promote a healthy, active lifestyle that contributes to a happier life. By following these tips, you’ll be able to maintain weight loss after a tummy tuck and achieve your desired results.