Traveling is a lot more fun with e-scooters. Commuters can easily travel from one place to another using these quick travel modes as it is far more convenient to avoid traffic congestion during small distance travel with these bikes. It would be great if governments recognize e-scooters’ potential and accredit the required provisions to make traveling safer by building separate lanes to use this mode. It’s only a matter of time before we see hundreds of e-scooters roaming the cities.
Market trends related to the e-scooter app business
- The scooter-sharing apps’ market size was valued at $17.43 billion in 2018, and it is expected to grow 8.5% annually.
- The global e-scooter market is evaluated at $18.6 million in 2019 and is expected to reach $28.6 million by 2025 at a 7.3% CAGR.
- As per BCG, the global e-scooter sector will contribute to 15% of the entire automobile sector.
Working of Uber for e-scooter app
The Uber for the e-scooter app is built in such a way that people pick the bike and ride it in a flash. There are no cumbersome steps involved. Here are the basic steps involved in using the app:
- Users have to download the app by providing necessary details. Once it’s done, they can locate the nearby bike stop by turning on the Bluetooth.
- Riders need to scan the QR code using the in-app scanner. Once scanned, the bike will be automatically unlocked.
- Once the ride is complete, users can look up the nearby drop off location and leave the bike there.
- There will be multiple stops all over the cities, so people needn’t worry about locating the right spot.
- Then they can pay using any of the secure payment gateway options available.
Essential features to be included in the e-scooter app development
There must be all kinds of features to make the booking process simple and straightforward in the e-scooter rental app. Here are some of the features that are part of major e-scooter apps.
Onboarding: E-scooters app has a simple onboarding process, which includes a few questions so users can answer these questions and become members. They also have the option to directly login using social media credentials.
ID verification: Only people above the age of 21 are eligible to ride. So the users must provide the relevant document to verify their age. Once they are approved, they can use the apps’ services.
Ride stats: It shows the drivers’ efficiency, which is formulated by considering various driving skills and suggests tips for improvement.
Notifications: Users are notified of the upcoming offers and discounts via push notifications.
QR code scanner: Riders can scan the QR code in the label on the bike to initiate the ride.
Maps integration: In-app map helps users in finding the bike, reaching the destination, and locating the drop-off stops. There are additional aspects which show the areas of traffic and time to reach the destination.
Smart locks: Once the users place the bike in the drop-off points, the e-scooter gets automatically locked, and it will remain so until the next rider unlocks it.
Admin panel features
- Login: It would be safe to have a single login credential. In the case of co-ownership, multiple admins can view the same dashboard.
- Customer management Dashboard: It shows the entire activity of customers, like the number of scooters currently running, areas in which scooters are used, and so on.
- Station management: The station information like the number of scooters currently present in the stand is displayed on this dashboard.
- Vehicle management: In case of theft or any other damage, the admin is notified promptly. There is a sensor placed on the vehicle through which admins are notified.
- Payment management: The earnings are updated as and when the rides are completed.
Hardware and software components to be part of the on-demand scooter app
- GPS: Apart from the navigation purposes, it can also be used to provide the current status of the scooters to the admin.
- Heat Map: These show the areas in which the e-scooter app is extensively used so that admin can include more e-scooters in these areas.
- Battery meter: It shows the current battery levels, so riders will know when the battery is down.
- Distance meter: It displays the distance traveled since e-scooters were unlocked. Admin also keeps track of the distance traveled by the e-scooters.
- Anti-theft system: The alarm will break out if the e-scooter is taken without prior permission. At the same time, the admin is alerted of this theft.
Cost determiners for on-demand e-scooter app
The major factors contributing to the on-demand e-scooter app development solution are listed below:
- Choice of platform
The e-scooter app is based on IoT technology, so setting up a network with the assistance of IoT is higher than any other technology. As in IoT, every bike has to be connected to the central network, enabling effective surveying capabilities. There is a need for effective cloud storage and a reliable network to set up prolific e-scooter admin and operating panels.
- Location of functioning
There are multiple stations set up all over the cities, so that people can use the e-scooter services as and when they require. For setting up certain locations, government permission is also required. Similarly, if the station needs to be in private ownership, then rent needs to be paid. All these factors add up to the cost of establishing the business.
- Backend development
In order to create a sustainable backend, there are two options, either monolithic servers or microservices. Depending on the network size and future scalability plans, the backend for e-scooter rental services can be decided.
The bottom line
The e-scooter sector is expected to grow exponentially in the coming years. While entering the e-scooter industry, it is essential to have a strong marketing strategy as not many people are familiar with e-scooter’s concept. This notion will soon change as there is a demand for eco-friendly products, and e-scooter is one among them. As there are not many competitors in this developing sector, your e-scooter app solution will likely become successful.