Wheels and rims are an important part of any vehicle as they help the vehicle move. Back in the day, rims were made from steel and were available in limited sizes. But today, rims can be found in various sizes and are made from steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, and many other materials. Moreover, when you opt for car cleaning or replacing old car tires and rims it is like giving a new life to your old car. You can also go for changing the rims and tires. But before that, you should know how to choose a rim and tire that are not only stylish but are effective as well.
If you choose a wrong sized rim and tire then it could affect the vehicle’s clearance, cause vibration issues and alter your ride quality. To understand about rims and sizes you first need to understand some terminology of wheels and rims. People often relate that rims and wheels are the same but it’s not, actually rim is a part of a full wheel. It supports the tire and creates an airtight seal. Rim is a metal disc with spokes and holes drilled for bolts.
Know your fitment to choose custom wheels
Every vehicle has a range of many diameter sizes of several inches. This gives you some flexibility to customize the looks and performance of your vehicle.
Wheel diameter is the distance between the two bead seats, the flat spots where the edges of the tire fit securely on the wheel. Tire width is the width of the wheel that is measured in millimeters. However, it is marked on the sidewalls as well. The tire’s aspect ratio is also given on the sidewall of the tire. It is the aspect ratio of sidewall height divided by tire width that means it’s the height of the sidewall measured from the wheel rim to the top of the tread. However, a slight change in the aspect ratio means the height of the tire changes resulting in driving performance.
Test Fit Before You Buy
If you want to find out what wheel sizes, bolt patterns, and styles are right for your vehicle, visit a tire store near you to find out. A good tire store will consider on the issues more than your preferences and will give you some tips on effective car maintenance for spring.
- They will check for proper clearance so that the wheels don’t rub against bodywork, brakes or parts of the suspension.
- They will even check for compatibility with tire pressure monitoring and even traction control and stability.
- They will even check speedometer and odometer readings along with keeping tires within speed and load capacities.
After you have chosen all the options, you can try different types of sizes virtually. Some retailers have computer software that shows how a wheel tire package will actually look.
After you have satisfied with the choice, the staff of the store will put your vehicle on the lift and show you how the tire and rim assembly will look like.
Custom Wheel Buying Tips
An aftermarket tire-rim setup is not just about picking a style, if you choose a wrong size then it can cause proper clearance for brake system components, potential rubbing on body parts like fenders, offset spacing and bolt patterns.
- Always remember that for most SUVs, CUVs, and cars the overall diameter of the aftermarket package should be within 3-8 percent of the overall diameter.
- As per the rule of plus-sizing, increasing tire width by 10 mm and decreasing sidewall height by 5-10 percent will increase one size in wheel diameter.
- The easiest way to get wheels and rims in your budget is to talk with a good tire dealer
If you want to give your car an instant makeover, make sure you choose the right dealer who can help you with car tires and rims as well as car cleaning.