Many users reported they are getting the error message “The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed” while trying to install an application. Well, this is a very irritating problem as until the error is fixed you cannot install or uninstall the program.
In Windows 10 system there are many applications that we use on daily basis, but if for some reason you are unable to install it then this is really a big mess.
And if you get the Windows installer service could not be accessed error, then you need to fix it immediately.
So, in this article follow the solutions given one by one and fix the error in Windows 10 with ease.
What is Windows Installer Service could not be accessed Error?
Well, the error is generally encountered by the users when they try to install a program that utilizes the MSI files. Therefore most of the users reported they are getting the error when trying to install Microsoft office.
And the error message Windows Installer Service could be not accessed is faced by the users when the Windows Installer service is not installed correctly.
So, if you are the one also getting the Windows Installer error then follow the solutions given below. But before heading towards the fixes learn what causes the Windows Installer not working issue.
What Causes of Windows Installer could be not Accessed Error?
As said above the Windows installer is a Microsoft Windows component and is utilized for installation of the software, maintenance and removal as well.
There are many different reasons responsible for the error, below have a look at some of them:
- The Windows Installer is not installed properly
- Due to the registry permission issues
- The Windows Installer service is outdated and encountering compatible issues
- Your Windows Installer files are damaged or missing.
Now follow the fixes given one by one and make the Windows Installer works properly again in Windows 10/8/7.
How Do I Fix “The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed” on Windows 10?
Fix 1 – Manually Start the Windows Installer Service
Well, there are 2 accesses that you can use for manually starting Windows Installer. One from the Command Prompt and the second one is to start it manually.
So here follow the steps to start the Windows Installer through Command Prompt:
- In the Windows Search box > type cmd,> then right-click on Command Prompt and choose “Run as administrator“.
- Now in the command prompt type the command netstart MSIServer > hit Enter.
Now follow the steps to manually Start Windows Installer using Service Settings
- In the Windows Search > type services > and from the result appeared choose “Services”
- Then on the Service window > find the Windows Installer > and check the state.
- If in case it is not running then right-click on Windows Installer > choose “Start“.
Hope this works for you to fix Windows Installer could be not Accessed Error.
Fix 2 – Install Windows Installer Latest Version
If you are running an outdated or incompatible version of Windows installer with your current Windows OS, then this might start causing issues. And this is what causes the “Windows Installer Service could not be accessed” error.
So, in this case try to install the latest version of Windows installer and to do so try the CMD command and install in manually.
Follow the steps to install Windows Installer through CMD command:
- Press Windows + R keys > then type cmd > hit Enter.
- At the Command Prompt > type the below given command > press Enter after each line.
ren msi.dll msi.old
ren msiexec.exe msiexec.old
ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old
- Then at the command prompt > type exit, and hit Enter.
- And restart your computer.
- Next update the Windows Installer files to the latest version.
Also for doing so visit the Microsoft website after that download and install the Windows Installer. And as the installation of the Windows Installer is finished > shutdown and restart your computer before installing the program.
Hope this works for you to fix Windows Installer Service could not be accessed error. Try the fixes given one by one and check which one works for you.
Well, if your system starts running slow and showing errors then here it is suggested to scan your system with the PC Repair Tool. This is an advanced tool that just by scanning once detects and fixes various issues and errors easily.