Scholarships are a blessing for making education affordable. Several organisational structures including schools, colleges, businesses, communities or even employers of applicant’s parents offer scholarships to the right talent.
So if you happen to be someone with a plethora of talent, intelligence or simply with a willingness to make it big in the field of your interest, the opportunities are limitless. Oh! And the budget won’t be a constraint. So, without wasting any more time, let’s get straight to the types of scholarships for international students available for you and how you can avail these scholarships.
Types of Scholarships For International Students
Many institutes in both private and public sectors offer scholarships to students, some to attract the best students to their colleges, while others to pursue them in choosing their field of excellence for future. The most popular scholarships offered to students are four types, namely, merit scholarships, financial need-based scholarships, scholarships targeted to certain groups/ communities and the scholarships offered by the employers of the applicant’s parents. We shall discuss these scholarships in detail as you read further.
- Merit-based Scholarships: Unlike the other types of scholarships, these do not have a bias towards any groups, communities or individuals but are awarded based on the level of promise the student demonstrates. A merit scholarship is offered to a student who showcases exceptional talent and potential in the special areas such as academics, sports or arts.
- The most common place to find these scholarships are at the universities or schools that you are applying to. However, there are several others including member organisations and private companies who offer these scholarships. In most countries, the state conducts examinations to select students to award scholarships to, every year.
- Scholarships based on financial needs: Needs-based grants are awarded to students from financially weaker sections. This type of scholarship is awarded to applicants to allow them to complete their studies despite being unable to meet financial needs.
- Almost all states strive for financial equality among their citizens in addition to social equality. Offering scholarships to students who are talented by being unable to afford the education that they deserve is one of the most popular and appreciated ways the state and even some private organisations (at times, to boost their public image) are doing so!
- Scholarships geared towards specific groups/communities: Many educational institutes in order to promote diversity on their campus offer scholarships to a specific group of people. Women are offered scholarships in many engineering colleges to promote the course among gender. Government and member organisations, too, come up with scholarship programs for minorities or communities that were discriminated against in history.
- Scholarships offered by employers to the employees’ children: Another popular way to fund your child’s education is to go through the policies of the company that you work for. Many employers offer to pay college fees or, maybe part of the college fees of their employees’ children. An example of this type of scholarship includes scholarships offered to the families of military personnel in many countries.
Different institutes have different ways of paying the scholarship amount to the awardee. Some prefer paying the fees of an applicant’s college while others choose to pay them the amount all at once. Whatever their way of paying, scholarships for international students are a great help for those looking for a helping hand in paying their/their children’s college fees.
Where Do I Find Scholarships For International Students?
All this knowledge about the type of scholarships makes it easier to choose the type that suits you the best. However, it is extremely important to know where to look for scholarships to avoid being scammed, for scholarships scams are doing rounds in the industry, today. Be careful, and trust only verified sources! Below is the list of legitimate sources to find good scholarships for international students:
- The financial aid off of the school/college that you are applying to
- The website of the university
- Government scholarship programs
- Local businesses,foundations, religious or community organizations, or civic groups
- Organizations related to your field of interest.
- Ethnicity-based organizations
- Your employer or your parents’ employers
Please note: DO NOT MISS DEADLINES! Different institutes have different rules and timelines of scholarship applications, once you have chosen the scholarship that you wish to apply to, keep yourself very well updated about them. Start looking for scholarships while you are in high school to have more options to choose from.
Scholarships For International Students: Application Process
Different global citizen scholarships have different requirements and rules. The website of the scholarship will provide you with an idea of who qualifies for the scholarship and how to apply. Make sure you thoroughly read the document, fill it out completely, and follow the deadline for the application.