The E–way bill is an electronic waybill. It is generated on the GST portal for the movement of goods. To create uniformity across different states for seamless and streamlined interstate movement of goods the e way bill is introduced by the government. It requires online pre registration of goods before transportation. It is mandatory for every interstate movement of goods. Any supplier or road transporter agent transporting goods where the consignment value is greater than Rs. 50,000 needs to generate and show this e waybill.
Purpose of issuing an e-way bill
- It is required for, transportation of goods by road
- It is an effective tool to track the movement of goods
- It is an effective mechanism to check tax evasion
- It is an effective mechanism to ensure that goods being transported by Material transporters comply with the GST Law
Who can create e-way bill?
- A registered person or industrial transport services provider can choose to generate and carry e-way bill even if the value of goods is less than Rs 50,000.
- Unregistered persons or their transporters may also choose to generate an e-way bill.
- This means that an e-way bill can be generated by both registered and unregistered persons.
Main Objectives of e-way bill
- e-way bill offers easy Transport Solutions to road transporters and industrial transport services providers.
- hassle-free and convenient movement of goods throughout the Country.
- A separate transit pass is not required by road transporters in each State for the movement of goods.
- Offers a comfortable Shift from the departmental-policing model to the self-declaration model for interstate movement of goods.
Benefits of e-way bill
- transporters need not visit any Tax Office or check post for the generation of e-way bill for the movement of goods across States.
- No waiting time at check posts
- speedy movement of goods
- optimum use of vehicles and other resources
- User-friendly e-way bill system
- Commercial transportation service providers can generate Consolidated e-way bill for trucks carrying multiple consignments
- Alerts are sent to users or Full Load Transporter via mail and SMS on registered mail id/mobile number.
Allow implementation of e-way bill for intrastate transportation of gold
- Under the goods and services tax regime, e-way bills are required for inter transportation of goods but gold is exempted
- Comprehending the benefits of e-way bill for transportation of goods, the States must make e-way bill mandatory for the intrastate transportation of gold
- e way bill within the states is being implemented
- implementing it for the interstate has not met approval from all states.
While Kerala and Karnataka wanted an e-way bill for intera-state movement for goods, Bihar and Gujrat doubted its practicality and feasibility. ..
In the electronic way (e-way) bill system, businesses and Full Load Transporter as well as Part load Transportation service providers have to produce e waybill to the GST inspector. Currently, e-way bills have the validity of 1 day for every 100 km. When an e-way bill is generated, a specific e-way bill number (EBN) is allocated. This is available to the supplier, recipient, as well as the transporter.